Awning Fabrics

Fabric Color and Patterns

There are thousands of different fabric colors and patterns to select from. A Bluegrass Awning Company sales representative will work with you to select a fabric appropriate to your awning and provide samples of the many fabrics available.


All awning fabrics have good abrasion resistance and will typically last between five to fifteen years, depending on fabric type, climate, and proper fabric care.

Fabric Warranty

All fabrics are warranted by the fabric manufacturer and directly by Bluegrass Awning Company. Fabric warranties generally cover colorfastness, rot and mildew. Bluegrass Awning Company will supply copies of fabric warranties upon request.

Fabric Types

Solution-dyed acrylic (Sometimes called Canvas)

Solution-dyed acrylic is a woven fabric that was introduced for awnings in the early 1960s. Acrylic is a generic name for mixtures of at least 85 percent of acrylonitrile. The other 15 percent consists of various additives, such as chemicals that provide UV light, mildew and water. The loose weave makes it highly breathable, so hot air and moisture will not be trapped. Bluegrass Awning Company proudly uses Sunbrella fabrics.

Vinyl-coated polyester

These standard fabrics include opaque and translucent materials which are translucent depending on their color. Vinyl-laminated polyesters are resistant to UV light, mildew and water and are actually recommended for use in areas of sustained high humidity. They are easy to clean and flame retardant.

Acrylic-coated polyester

Coated with acrylic rather than vinyl, this fabric is translucent depending on its color and is resistant to UV light, mildew and water. The weight is 9.5 to 12.5 ounces per square yard. Vinyl-coated polyester/cotton. These are traditional awning fabrics. Because of their cotton base, these opaque fabrics are not recommended for use in areas of constant high humidity, although they are somewhat resistant to UV light, mildew and water.

← Awning Frames Info Awning Valances Info →